Sunday, June 20, 2010

The greatest gift I ever had
Came from God; I call him Dad!
~Author Unknown


A father is defined as:

a. A male person whose sperm unites with an egg, resulting in the conception of a child.

b. A man who adopts a child.

c. A man who raises a child.


This year I am celebrating my 23rd Father’s Day. In contrast my father is celebrating his 51st. I still remember the day that turned me from a mere child to a father. The birth of my first child and my second child are days that I will always remember. I remember the moment that the doctor handed me my child right then and there I went from being a kid to becoming my father. I knew what this child was going be able to do, when they had to be home from a date, how they would do in school, and how I would love him unconditionally.


What does it mean to be a father? I am sure that there are many thoughts on what it means to be a father. For me it means that I am responsible for the heath and well being of my children until they have reached a point in their lives that they can survive on their own. So far I have discovered that even when they are 23 and 21it has still not ended. As a father it not just the heath and well being of the children that you must do but also you must teach them the skills to survive. It is important to remember that children are adults that need training and as a parent it your job to make sure that they become a respectable member of society.


Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever. ~Author Unknown


We all learn from our parents and as children we marveled at what they can do. As adults we see the role that they play. Some of us may not know our parents, some may loathe them and some may want to be them when we grow up. I took many things from my parents and have passed it on to my children. There many things that I did not take and my children have no idea they even exist.


On this Fathers Day I plan to do a little internal reflection on how I am as a father and spend some time with the ones I love. Happy Fathers Day.

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland


Ciao,

Sir J Rotten

No comments:

Post a Comment