Thursday, January 21, 2010

fancy food food food

I spent the majority of this week out on the left coast in the great state of California.
My adventures in food this week were primarily for work,  but boy what a fun work week it was!
Arriving into San Francisco for the Fancy Foods Show on Monday proved a bit of a challenge given the lack luster weather both getting out of Atlanta and arriving into the bay area. It was great to be greeted at the airport by William my driver from Ace Limosuine SF, what a fine warm welcome.
Once I hit the show floor all the excitement of the vast amount of fancy foods was like Christmas morning wrapped up under the Moscone Center with a big red bow!
The show provided me with exactly everything I was looking for in current trends for food enthusiasts. Chocolate in every imaginable format; flavor and combination.  Even Willy Wonka would never have dreamed about. Dark Chocolate appears to be the new star....but the combination's of chocolate with sea salt; chiles; nuts;citrus; creams and burnt flavors are outstanding. I was a bit taken a back by enormous variety of cheese and olives showcased but again it was all about food heaven! Some of my favorite discoveries were the new  Vosges Hautes-Glaces (exotic ice creams) including the Red Fire with Mexican Ancho & Chipolte Chillies; cinnamon and dark chocolate and surprisingly the chocolate bacon flavors....YUM!!!!
After 3 hours on the show floor and feeling a chocolate overload coming on, I headed over to the Grand Hyatt for a bit of recovery before meeting colleagues for a glass of wine at the W Hotel.
Dinner at Perbacco was the perfect finish to a long SWEET filled day.
The restaurant setting is lovely and the service is outstanding. Armando our waiter was so gracious. The Salumi Mista was the perfect beginning to our meal accompanied by a lovely Barolo. As I often do I selected two appetizers. The Bresaola with Celery Root Salad and the Roasted Beets with Dandelion greens and Grapefruit exceeded my expectations.
“Perbacco” is an Italian word to accentuate positive comments....they are spot on with that!
Day one complete....stay tuned for the continued fancy food adventures of day two!
Peace Love Food,
Yellow Band Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment